Tuesday, May 13, 2008
5 Pillars of Missions
Matthew 9:35-38 (New International Version)
35Jesus went through all the towns and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. 36When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. 37Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. 38Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field."
Some years ago I was at a Missionary Prayer Breakfast and heard a missionary, Sid Halsband who serves in Africa but is very sick right now. I still remember the substance of his message. From this passage he pointed out at least 5 principles for missions. It's really a study of the heart of Jesus.
1. The Lord was motivated by Love and Compassion for people.
2. His primary work was Preaching and Teaching.
3. He also was healing and aiding those who were suffering. (not cold and removed)
4. Recognition of the Lord of the Harvest.
5. A call for fervent prayer for laborers (not just preachers!)
You either go or send a substitute! There are those who go and preach and those who stay and pray. Those on the front lines are dependent on the supply lines, like those in the Battle for Bagdad during the Gulf War II.
"Lord Jesus, give me a heart like thine, Amen"