Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mine eye affecteth mine heart (Lamentations 3:51)


I saw this image on both my friend's blogs, including Nigel Barham's Prayer Blog Nigel Barham's Prayer Blog and had to include it here. Nigel (former missionary kid, "MK") is serving around the world as George Verwer's (Operation Mobilization) gopher.

The caption reads:
"" PULITZER PRIZE " photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan famine. The picture depicts a famine stricken child crawling towards a UN food camp, located a kilometer away. The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat it. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer who left the place as soon as the photograph was taken. Three months later he committed suicide."

Nigel challenges us with these thoughts...


"...consider these thoughts: (1) Jesus loved/loves this little boy, (2) Christ called/calls us to share Himself with such as these, (3) Were any of us there? Why not?, (4) Jesus loved/loves the photographer who took this picture (see caption), (5) The photographer did not have the hope of Jesus in his life, (6) Did any of us share Christ with this photographer? If not, why not?, (7) If one of us had been there for the little boy, how would this have impacted the photographer?, (8) How long do photographs like this have an impact on us?, (9) Most of us are comfortable lifestyle-wise and perhaps believe that this is because God has blessed us (don't tell that to John Piper); if this is true, how does this blessing relate to this little boy?, (10) Matthew 43-44: "For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me." Is this true of me? (11) Where were you in 1994? Where was I?

May we examine our attitudes."

No comments: